Robert K. McGee

Staff Sgt. Robert K. McGee
Died July 1, 2004
Global War on Terrorism

B Company, 2nd Battalion, ODA 155

1st Special Forces Group (Airborne)

Based at Fort Lewis, Washington

Age 37 from Antioch, Tennessee 

Special Forces Condolences Book

Robert's wife, Shannon and two sons, Michael and Zachary, survive him. His mother, Martha R. Goins, and a brother also survive him.

Staff Sgt. Robert K. McGee, 37, was assigned as a senior Special Forces weapons sergeant with Operational Detachment A 155, Company B, 2nd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Lewis, Wash.

McGee died in Manila, Philippines on July 1, 2004. He was deployed to the Philippines as a member of an advance team for Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines. He was to assist in light-infantry tactics training at Cotabato.

Awards and Decorations

Meritorious Service Medal

Army Commendation Medal

Army Achievement Medal,

Good Conduct Medal

Joint Meritorious Unit Award

National Defense Service Medal

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

Multinational Force and Observers Medal

Noncommissioned Officers Professional Development Ribbon

Army Service Ribbon

Overseas Service Ribbon

Expert Infantry Badge

Master Parachutist Badge

Scuba Diver Badge

Expert Marksmanship Qualification Badge 

Malaysian Parachutist Badge,

Special Forces Tab

Royal Thai Army Airborne Wings


Military Education

Basic Airborne Course

Static Line 

Jumpmaster Course



Infiltration Course


Combat Diver 

Qualification Course


Combat Diving 

Supervisor Course


Jungle Warfare Course


Jungle Survival Course


Winter Mountain 

Warfare Course


Special Forces 

Qualification Course


Primary Leadership 

Development Course


Basic Noncommissioned 

Officers Course


 Advanced Noncommissioned 

Officers Course

McGee, a native of Antioch, Tenn., exemplified the spirit of the “Quiet Professional,” American fighting man and professional Soldier. During 17 years of military service, he distinguished himself while serving in multiple organizations and various positions.

He served his country honorably since his military enlistment in August 1984. Upon completion of One Station Unit Training and the Basic Airborne Course at Fort Benning, Ga.,

McGee was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, N.C. He served as an infantryman, machine gunner, fire team leader and squad leader. While assigned to the 82nd, he participated in numerous field-training exercises throughout the United States and a rotation as part of the Multi-National Force and Observers in the Sinai.

McGee volunteered for Special Forces training in January 1988 and upon completion of the Special Forces Qualification Course, was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 1st SFG at Torii Station, Okinawa, Japan.

During McGee’s tenure with 1st Battalion, he served as a junior and senior SF weapons sergeant on ODA 121 and 125. His ability to operate independently and with little supervision or guidance was clearly evident on numerous Joint Combined Exchange Training exercises to Korea, Japan, Republic of the Philippines, Kingdom of Thailand, Sri Lanka and Malaysia. McGee developed and implemented heavy weapons training, small arms marksmanship training, waterborne surface and sub-surface training and small unit tactics training both at his home station in Okinawa and abroad. 

He earned numerous accolades from senior U.S. State Department and Host Nation military officials for his superior knowledge, teaching abilities and leadership skills while deployed in support of U.S. Pacific Command’s peacetime engagement operations.

In October 1992, McGee was reassigned to the U. S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School at Fort Bragg where he taught Special Forces students.

Three years later, he was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 1st SFG serving as the senior weapons sergeant on ODA 185. While assigned to the detachment, McGee’s experience in waterborne training contributed immeasurably to that team’s success. Once again he lead his detachment’s training of unconventional warfare techniques to Host Nation forces while deployed to various countries in the Asia-Pacific Theater.

After serving 10 years as a Special Forces Soldier, McGee chose to finish his military career and begin a new career in the computer industry in Nashville, Tenn. With the tragic events that gripped the nation and world in September of 2001, and an undying determination and resolve to give back to this great nation, Robert McGee once again volunteered for active service within the ranks of the Special Forces community and was assigned to the 1st SFG at Fort Lewis. While assigned to ODA 151, he was on the forefront of our nation’s fight to rid the world of terror. Deployed in support of the global war on terrorism to the Philippines during Operation Enduring Freedom-Philippines, his mentoring, training and leadership were instrumental in the success attained in providing the Armed Forces of the Philippines with the tools necessary to combat terrorism within their region.

Upon his return to Fort Lewis, McGee was reassigned to ODA 155 as the senior weapons sergeant. His extensive knowledge and training in underwater operations, close air support, weapons marksmanship, familiarity and capabilities proved invaluable in raising the detachment’s war fighting edge. With the continuing war on terrorism, McGee soon found himself headed back to the Republic of the Philippines. In this capacity, he was forging the groundwork for his detachment and the company’s arrival into the country for yet another training mission.

Information from 1st SF Group Members, SF List, USASOC used in this Article